Kensington Palace Orangery

Commercial building

Key Details

Kensington Gardens, London W8 4PX
18th century


The Orangery at Kensington Palace (known as the greenhouse in the late 18th and early 19th centuries) was built for Queen Anne in 1704 - 5 and was used during the winter months for housing plants, and in the summer for court entertainments.

The design of The Orangery is attributed to Nicholas Hawksmoor, was modified by Sir John Vanbrugh and the initial estimate of £2,599 had more than doubled by the time work was completed.

The building was restored in the late 19th century when much of the panelling was replaced. The interior is decorated in panelling, cornice and 24 Corinthian columns all painted white.

Other interesting facts
It was traditional since Medieval times for the Monarch to distribute gifts of specially minted coins to poor people on Maundy Thursday. This now takes place in churches around the country, but Queen Anne held the Maundy Ceremony in the Orangery.

The Orangery was often used for ceremonies. Queen Anne was notable as the last monarch who performed the ceremony called “Touching the King's Evil” where people with diseases believed that by being physically touched by the Monarch they would be cured.


#launchingsoon - subscribe to our weekly newsletter
Be the first to hear about the upcoming launch events and emerging projects – Buildington’s free ‘Launch Events Weekly’ newsletter is sent out once a week

Site & Location


High Street Kensington Underground StationCircle, District
Kensington Palace23, 452, 49, 52, 70, 9, N9



News, events, milestones and offers from the new development
+ Post a new milestone


Information on this page is for guidance only and remains subject to change. Buildington does not sell or let this property. For more information about this property please register your interest on the original website or get in touch with the Connected Companies.