Description of Chrisp Street Market
Regeneration of the Chrisp Street Market and the surrounding land in London E14.
The site is bound on 4 sides by East India Dock Road, Chrisp Street, Cordelia Street and Kerbey Street within the district of Poplar in London Borough of Tower Hamlets.
- Mix of private and social housing;
- A stand-alone landmark building in the southeast corner - the arrival threshold to the District Centre from All Saints DLR;
- Podium and roof top gardens to provide communal amenity space, play space and private gardens.
Retail and commercial
- Creation of a new community building which offers an opportunity to build upon success of existing Idea Store.
- Regenerate retail units within existing Festival of Britain buildings;
- Provide new market canopy and associated amenity;
- A new food and convenience shopping destination, anchored by a national food store;
- Retention of successful local businesses with addition of independent and established retailers - maximising “active frontages” along all streets;
- The creation of new eating, drinking and meeting areas, together with outside eating areas;
- A 6 screen cinema to boost night time economy.
The Public Realm improvements include:
- A remodelled market square, designed flexibly to accommodate potential non-market events:
- Film festival / open air cinema / theatre
- Live concert / vintage fair / seasonal ice rink
- Chinese New Year/ Eid etc events
2016 Sept - Planning application submitted for:
Comprehensive redevelopment of the site (including existing car park) comprising the demolition of existing buildings with the exception of the Festival of Britain buildings, Clock Tower and Idea Store; erection of 19 new buildings ranging from 3 to 25 storeys (up to a maximum AOD height of 88m) providing 643 residential units (C3 Use Class) (including re-provision of 124 affordable residential units); existing market enhancement, including new canopy and service building; refurbishment of retained Festival of Britain buildings; reconfiguration and replacement of existing and provision of new commercial uses including new cinema (D2 use class); alterations and additions to existing Idea Store for community use and multi-function space (D1 Use Class); flexible affordable workspace/ community space (B1/D1 Use Class); office space (B1 use class); retail, financial and professional services and cafe/ restaurant floor space (A1 - A3 Use Class), including A1 food store; public house (A4 Use Class); hot food takeaway floor space (A5 Use Class); upgrade and provision of new public open space including child play space; new public realm, landscaping works and new lighting; cycle parking spaces (including new visitor cycle parking); and provision of disabled car parking spaces. (Reconsultation due to revised submission documents that take in to account Grade II Listed status of the clock tower and the Festival Inn pub. Also changes to housing mix and child play space. Architect: Sheppard Robson. Tower Hamlets application no. PA/16/01612/A1.