Description of Leven Road Gasworks
Leven Road Gasworks is a residential-led mixed-use development on Leven Road Gasworks in Poplar, London E14.
The 20 acre site was formerly used for the production and storage of gas.
St William's plans comprise up to 2,800 private and affordable homes, commercial space, a new riverside park, access to the River Lea and a new secondary school. The development will be constructed in four residential phases (Phase 1 – 4), plus a park phase and school phase. The detailed element of the planning application relates to Phase 1 (referred to as the Yards) and the outline element relates to residential Phases 2, 3 and 4 plus the park and school phases.
Leven Road Gasworks will deliver up to 2,800 new private and affordable homes, publicly accessible open space, and up to 2,500 sqm (29,910 sqft) commercial and up to 2,700 sqm (29,060 sqft) employment space over 4 phases of construction and a school phase.
The development comprises:
- 1ha riverside park
- 490m publicly accessible river frontage
- A new public space called The Square
circa 7,430 sqm (80,000sqft) of commercial space
- A Sixth Form entry secondary school
- Land to accommodate future pedestrian bridges across the River Lea
- Public realm feature comprising the partially retained structure of former Gasholder no.1
- Play areas for children
- The land required by the Council for the new secondary school will be located on Leven Road and has the potential to provide after hours facilities for the local community.
Phase 1 - The Yards
The Yards, will deliver 580 new homes and the majority of the commercial space and public amenities. Alongside delivering Phase 1 will be the Park Phase providing local residents with access to a new open space and the River Lea. The first phase of the development, anticipated to be built between 2019 and 2024.
Leven Road Gasworks site lies adjacent to the River Lea. It was originally market gardens before becoming home to the Poplar Gasworks in 1878. Gasholders no. 1 and no. 2 were the first to be erected in 1878, and Gasholder no. 3 was completed 1946.
The area was heavily bombed in the Blitz, and also suffered from zeppelin raids in the First World War. Over a quarter of Poplar’s buildings were seriously damaged or destroyed.
The organisers of the 1951 Festival of Britain chose an area of Poplar, now known as the Lansbury Estate, to be a case study of the latest advances in town planning and architecture, and the first piece of planned urban renewal in the post war period. Between May and September 1951, around 86,000 people visited the exhibition, including
King George VI.
Next to Leven Wharf development.