Description of St John's Gate
St John's Gate is the south entrance to the inner precinct of Clerkenwell Priory.
St John's Gate. This building was the main entrance to the Grand Priory of the order the order of the Hospital of St John of Jerusalem. The original gatehouse was erected about the year 1148 and was burnt down by Wat Tyler in 1381. It was restored by Prior John Redington and was finally rebuilt in its present form by Prior Thomas Docwra in 1504. The Grand Priory Buildings were appropriated by the Crown in 1559. The order of the Hospital of St John of Jerusalem resumed possession of this gatehouse in 1873.