Description of Willis Building
Willis Building is a 28-storey office building in the City of London.
The Willis Building is situated at 51 Lime Street directly opposite Lloyd's in the heart of the financial mile. Designed by world-renowned architects Foster + Partners, The Willis Building won the 2007 New City Architecture Award for its unique architectural form and contribution to the streetscape and skyscape of the City of London.
Standing 410 ft high, The Willis Building features an elegant stepped design and modern glass exterior. The striking new addition to the London skyline is the fourth tallest building in the City and is adjoined by a nine-storey building on Fenchurch Avenue which has been leased to other corporations.
Developed by British Land in conjunction with Stanhope, The Willis Building received an “excellent” BREEAM (Building Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Method) sustainability rating which measures the environmental impact of buildings. This is the highest possible score that can currently be achieved and is given to less than one in five newly completed buildings.
- It is 125 meters high or two and a half times the height of Nelson's .
- The Willis Building features 320,000 lettable square feet, with an additional 50,000 square feet of space in the basement levels and has a maximum capacity of 2,700 people.
- Lloyd's used to occupy the site of The Willis building. The insurance market was at 51 Lime Street from 1958-1986, when it moved to 1 Lime Street.
- 30,000 people worked on the development from start to finish - 1,500,000 man hours were needed to complete the project.
- The building weighs 65,000 tonnes or the equivalent of 650 blue whales.
- The piled foundations are 38 meters deep or the length of four and a half London buses.
- Over 15,000 cubic meters of concrete were used in the construction of The Willis Building - enough to fill six Olympic swimming pools.
- There are 5,500 tonnes of steel, the equivalent of 55 blue whales.
- The overall area is 67,500 square meters, which is equal to 11 football pitches.
- There are 21 high-speed lifts which move at speeds of 15 miles per hour.
- There are 3,771 windows
· 375 seat auditorium
· 6,000 square foot Wellness Center
· 4,000 square foot Associates' terrace
· 2,500 square foot client terrace
· 200 bicycle / 90 motorbike / 30 automobile spaces in the parking garage
· 300 seat Associates restaurant - the One Flag Café, named after Willis'
culture of global teamwork
· 40 seat private client dining room called the Client Advocate restaurant in
recognition of Willis' commitment to being a true advocate for its clients'
· 27 conference / dining rooms
· Video conference room