Kennington Stage development in Kennington, London SE11.
The scheme will retain the Cinema Museum, redevelop the vacant Woodlands nursing home, including 50% affordable housing, and improve accessibility to the local area through new landscaped public spaces.
The former Woodlands Care Home occupies the north section of the site. The site was formerly occupied by Lambeth Hospital until its closure in 1976 and the care home was built on-site in 1995.
The site includes Grade II listed Masters House, the former Lambeth Workhouse in 1870, forming part of Lambeth Hospital for a number of years. Here Charles Chaplin (then aged eight) briefly became an inmate of the workhouse before being transferred to the Norwood Schools. The building is now a Cinema Museum. Ronald Grant and Martin Humphries established the Cinema Museum in 1986.
The workhouse was built at Renfrew Road, designed by Thomas W Aldwinckle and was one of the earliest pavilion block workhouse designs built in England. Its various buildings spread across the 8-acre site but the main ‘house’ was designed to accommodate 820 inmates which were segregated by gender and ability.
In 1922 the workhouse and infirmary were amalgamated and
renamed Lambeth Hospital. In 1930 its administration was
taken over by the London County Council. The infirmary and
most of the workhouse have now been demolished, although
the administration block, water tower, porter’s and receiving
Anthology acquired the site from the South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust.
Short walk to Elephant and Castle rail and underground station, as well as Kennington underground station.
1. Savills savills.co.uk
2. Anthology London anthology.london
Site & Location
Information on this page is for guidance only and remains subject to change. Buildington does not sell or let this property. For more information about this property please register your interest on the original website or get in touch with the Connected Companies.