Description of Old Kent Road
SGN Gasholders site mixed-use development on Old Kent Road, London SE15.
The 1.6ha site includes the Grade II listed Gasholder No.13, Old Kent Road former gasworks.
The new £230 million (GDV) mixed-use regeneration project which will remediate the industrial land and provide hundreds of new homes including affordable housing, open space and over 50,000 sqft of light industrial commercial use, supporting the Council’s Healthy Living strategy.
Plans for the Gasholders site include the retention of the 48.8 metre high main Grade II listed Victorian gasholder, during the Victorian era the largest in the world, originally built in 1879-1881 by George Livesey. The gasholder frame will be transformed into a striking art-like architectural feature within the gardens and parkland of the new development. Within the skeleton of the gasholder, there are plans for a pavilion, water features and gardens, providing a central feature for the residential and commercial buildings within the new development.
2019 November - Avanton acquires the site.
Gasholder No. 13 was built in 1879-81 by the engineer Sir George Livesey. It was the world’s largest gasholder upon completion.
The Gasholders site was originally part of the Old Kent Road gasworks, owned by the South Metropolitan Gas Company, and built in 1829-1833 by Chairman Thomas Livesey. In 1848 Thomas’s son George joined the company and helped to reconstruct the complex which became the most important gasworks in London, producing a gas supply of 12,520 million cubic feet per annum. The gasworks were nationalised in 1949 and ceased production in 1953 although the gasholders continued to be used for storing gas into the 21st century. Avanton now plan to regenerate the redundant site with a new mixed use scheme.
Historic England List Entry Number: 1446329.