Description of Belgravia House
Belgravia House is a Grade II listed mixed-use building at the junction of Horseferry Road and Tufton Street in Westminster, London SW1.
Former shelter building called "The Red Lamp" was started by James Fegan (1852-1925) as a destitute boys and lodging house for very poor working lads 1912-1913. The building was designed by A E Hughes. A red lamp used to hang from the most corner of the roof, shining as beacon of hope and help.
The plaque on the building reads:
"Mr Fegan’s Homes” (incorporated) to the glory of God and the welfare of orphan, needy and erring boys, here and hereafter, the foundation stone of this House of Mercy was laid by the Right Honourable Lord Kinnaird on 20th May 1912. His compassions fail not Lam. III 22.
2017 July 27 - New planning application submitted for:
Removal of existing mansard roof and plant enclosure with associated equipment, vertical extension of 1no. full fifth floor in brickwork & stone mouldings to match existing below and new L-shaped mansard roof with dormer windows and sedum roof. Internal reconfiguration of all floor plates. Refurbishment of external elevations with new windows throughout. Relocation of plant part internally part externally within Ground floor lightwell. Complete new mechanical/electrical and above ground drainage installation. Linked with Westminster Council ref. no 17/06283/LBC | 62-64 Horseferry Road London SW1P 2AF.
1. Westminster Council westminster.gov.uk/planning