Description of Devonshire House
Devonshire House office building opposite Green Park in Mayfair, London W1.
Directly above the Green Park tube station with entrance from Piccadilly.
The current building was designed by Thomas Hastings and completed in 1926. Named after the London Mansion of the Dukes of Devonshire that stood on this site.
- Size: 187,000 sq ft (17,400m2)
- Roof terrace on the 3rd floor
- 24h security
- 6x18 person passenger lifts
The nearest underground station is Green Park (Victoria line). The station is right below the building.
2013 - Grafton Advisers advised the sale in December 2013 at £410m reflecting £2,223psf, setting a new record price per square foot for an office building in the western world at that time.
1926 - The former house was demolished after WWI and a new building is erected by Holland, Hannen & Cubitts.
1737 - A new Devonshire House is built to the Palladian style designs of William Kent by William Cavendish, third Duke of Devonshire (son of Georgiana Cavendish, Duchess of Devonshire).
1733 - The old house burns down 16th October 1733.
1696 - William Cavendish, 1st Duke of Devonshire, acquires the building in 1696 and names it Devonshire House.
1673 - Berkeley House was erected on this site for John, Lord Berkeley of Stratton by Hugh May from 1665 to 1673.
1. Old and New London: Volume 4. Originally published by Cassell, Petter & Galpin, London, 1878; pp273-290 british-history.ac.uk
2. Devonshire House, Wikipedia wikipedia.org