Description of 14 Cavendish Square
Grade II listed townhouse built by Mr. George Foster Tufnell in 1770.
During the late eighteenth century, the site between Lord Carnarvon's two houses was sold to George Foster Tufnell, MP. In the late 1760s or early 1770s, Tufnell built 11-14 Cavendish Square, which remains virtually intact to this day.
The pair of houses on each side of Dean's Mews both have very fine Palladian-style façades of Portland stone.
It is thought that Tufnell bought the stone from the Dilettanti Society as a job lot. He left a wide thoroughfare between the two houses in order to preserve a significant urban axis, which followed on from Hanover Square, over Oxford Street and down Holles Street to Cavendish Square. But the opening only ever led to a mews, which housed laundries, a split-level coach house and a small, walled crescent for turning coaches.