Description of 44 Cleveland Street
44 Cleveland Street is a redevelopment of the former Middlesex Hospital Annex in Fitzrovia, London W1.
A mixed-use scheme comprising 50 residential units and commercial space on 0.305 hectares in the Charlotte Street Conservation Area. The site is bounded to the immediate north by UCL Wellcome building.
A development by University College London Hospitals Charity UCLHC.
Originally built in 1775. Former Strand Union Workhouse.
2018 January - Planning permission granted for:
Refurbishment of and alterations to the existing former Workhouse Building (Grade II listed) and North and South Houses (fronting onto Cleveland Street) to provide 12x residential units (Class C3); demolition of part of South House and buildings at rear of Workhouse Building and redevelopment to provide a part 4, part 5, part 8 storey building comprising 4,535sqm of commercial floor space (flexible use of Class B1 / D1 healthcare) and 38x residential units (Class C3); and associated works including opening up of Bedford Passage, creation of public open space, landscaping works, and partial demolition of front boundary wall. Design: Llewelyn Davies. Heritage Statement by Steven Bee Urban Counsel. Camden Council ref. no. 2017/0414/P.
1. Camden Council camden.gov.uk Planning Applications