Description of Leconfield House
Leconfield House is a proposed office building redevelopment on Curzon Street in Mayfair, London W1.
The new plans designed by EPR Architects see the reconfiguration and extension of Leconfield House to change the building’s use from an office to a very specialist private members’ hotel.
- An active ground floor, with the lowest two floors with a new stone facade and a specialist retail area; Bar and Restaurant facility over the ground and basement floor; Retail and gallery area operated in collaboration with luxury brand partners;
- An additional three levels of basement containing spa and members’ club areas;
- A new living wall, covering three sides of the existing brick facade;
- Replacement of the rooftop plant with a habitable level, contained within a new rooftop extension; The rooftop dining venue and lounge area have the impression of being outdoors under a bright and airy glass-domed enclosure.
- 65 guestrooms available to members for a variety of length of stays;
- Health Club & Spa, for guests and members, with swimming pool and treatment rooms.
- Panoramic views to Hyde Park and The City.
February 2020 - Planning application submitted for: Replacement of existing 7th floor level and erection of new 8th floor roof extension and roof plant area, excavation of three new basement levels, infilling of windows at the rear, replacement windows and doors at ground and first floor level, new loading doors onto Chesterfield Gardens and refurbishment works, all for use of the building as a 60 to 70 bedroom hotel and private members' club including restaurants, spa/wellness centre and retail (sui generis use), with plant at 6th, 7th floor, roof level and basement level 3 and roof terraces at seventh floor level. Westminster council ref. no. 20/01200/FULL.
The existing 7-storey building was the headquarters of MI5 following the Second World War from 1945 until the mid-1970s.
Leconfield House is situated on a site that was once part of Chesterfield House - a Palladian mansion built from 1746-1752 for Philip Stanhope, the 4th Earl of Chesterfield. The house was designed by Isaac Ware. The building sat on the corner of South Audley Street and Curzon Street, facing the park. Demolished in 1934 and replaced by Chesterfield House and Leconfield House.
1. Lord Chesterfield and His World Front Cover Samuel Shellabager Biblo & Tannen Publishers, 1971;
2. Design & Access Statement by EPR architects 2020 for Westminster Council.