Description of Estonian House
Estonian House (Eesti Maja) has operated in London’s Notting Hill, since November 1956.
The building comprises a large hall with a stage, suitable for gatherings, celebrations and performances; an important asset for the Estonian community in London, it merits a description of its history, associated activities, organization and practicalities.
The house was bought at the end of 1956 £5,827.
These premises had been built between 1846 and 1850 and occupied by the first owner and his family until 1871. By 1944, after many changes of ownership, the building had become the Gateway Theatre Club.