Description of 430-449 Strand
449 Strand is a Grade II* listed commercial building on the corner of the Strand and Adelaide Street, opposite Charing Cross Train station.
The building was designed by architect John Nash and was erected in 1830-32. Redeveloped in 1970s by Frederick Gibberd & Partners.
The building is in the Northbank Business Improvement District.
2016 August - Westminster City Council grants permission for:
Reconfiguration of the existing commercial space and associated public realm works in connection with the use of 9 Adelaide Street, part 449 Strand/1-2 Adelaide Street and part of the Charing Course concourse for restaurant purposes (Class A3); closure of the existing underground entrance on the Strand and replacement with a new retail unit (Class A1) and the introduction of an ancillary retail store (Class A1) at concourse level. Extension of retail floorspace (Class A1) at 4, 5 and 6 Charing Cross concourse. Public realm works to the Charing Cross concourse level including works to the Underground entrances and shopfront alterations 441-442 Strand, 1-2 Adelaide Street and 9 Adelaide Street. Ref no 16/02288/FULL.
TIAA Henderson Real Estate appointed Trehearne Architects to act as their architects in connection with the proposed change of use; the remodelling of particular units; and works to the public realm within the Site.
2016 September - TH Real Estate sells the building for £198m to Royal Bank of Scotland.
July 2014 - Acquired by TIAA Henderson Real Estate.
1. Design and Access Statement for 430-449 STRAND, 1-10 ADELAIDE STREET AND 1-18 WILLIAM IV STREET, LONDON (INCLUDING 2-9 CHARING CROSS UNDERGROUND CONCOURSE) by Trehearne Architects March 2016
2. Westminster Council www.westminster.gov uk/ planning