Description of Shiplake House
Shiplake House is a Grade II listed building from 1899 on Boundary Estate.
Situated in the north west of the London Borough of Tower Hamlets, the Boundary Street Estate was built by the London County Council (LCC) at the turn of last century following one of the first slum clearances in the east end. Boundary Estate Conservation Area covers Arnold Circus and the surrounding social housing estate in an area formally known as “The Nichol”, and lies east of Shoreditch High Street and north of old Bishopsgate Goods Yard.
The Boundary Street Estate was built 1894-1900 after the LCC had taken control over social housing in London in 1889. The estate was the first to be developed by the authority and comprises 20 blocks of 5 storey flats, two schools (one still in operation), workshops and commercial shops, all built around a central circus.