Description of 111 Cannon Street
111 Cannon Street development in the City of London EC4.
Development on the site of a 15,062 sq ft office building from 1962.
2016 March - planning permission granted.
15/01368/FULL | Demolition of the existing building from the ground floor level upwards and alteration to the retained basement and sub-basement levels for ancillary office (B1) accommodation, retail (Class A1) use and the erection of new ground to seventh floors for ground floor retail (Class A1) use and first to seventh floor office (Class B1) use. Reinstatement of the London Stone within the building facade on Cannon Street.
Formerly the site of St Swithin’s Church, the site was also the resting place of London Stone since 1798 when it was built into the south wall of the Church. The church was destroyed by a bomb but the stone survived.
Tim Fyles, Partner at Fletcher Priest Architects commented in 2016: “The challenge for us when considering London Stone is its mysterious origin and the myths that surround its importance. As part of the planning process we consulted a number of interested parties, the Worshipful Company of Spectacle Makers for example whose charter is intrinsically linked to London Stone. We also researched its history and working with MOLA established the method for it removal and temporary relocation to the Museum of London.
In architectural terms we want to create an improved setting for London Stone based on historical precedent. Ultimately though the challenge is to retain the mystery of London Stone while improving its presentation”.