10 Upper Grosvenor Street
10 Upper Grosvenor Street is a townhouse in Mayfair, London W1.
The grand Italianate-style stucco and Portland stone Victorian building was originally built in 1843-44 by Hyde Park builder James Ponsford, and designed by Mayfair architect Henry Harrison.
Originally the Mayfair home of industrialist Henry Kingscote, who owned mines in Australia, in 1881 it became the London pied-a-terre of Eleanor Percy née Grosvenor, the 4th Duchess of Northumberland (1820-1911).
1912 - The property was modernised by Grosvenor Estate architect Edmund Wimperis.
1927 - Purchased by senior Conservative politician Lord Edward Stanley (1894-1938) who that year was made Deputy Chairman of the Conservative Party and needed a pied-a-terre close to Westminster.
Lord Stanley and his wife Lady Sibyl Stanley née Cadogan (the daughter of Viscount Chelsea) hosted political colleagues including Prime Minister Stanley Baldwin and his wife Lucy, Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain and his wife Anne and Foreign Secretary Lord Halifax and his wife Lady Dorothy. Lady Sibyl sold 10 Upper Grosvenor Street and after WWII the grand building was converted into spacious lateral apartments.
Site & Location
News from the companies
Nearby new developments
Information on this page is for guidance only and remains subject to change. Buildington does not sell or let this property. For more information about this property please register your interest on the original website or get in touch with the Connected Companies.