Bush House

Aldwych WC2B
EF1
Commercial development

Key Details

Address
Aldwych, London WC2B 4PH
County
Greater London
Country
England
Completion
1923
Size
108000 sq ft
Use Classes
E, F1
Website

Overview

Bush House is an office building in London WC2.

Architecture and History

Bush House was built by the Bush Terminal Company of New York, and opened between 1923 and 1935.

The building was planned in 1919 by American businessman Irving T Bush, who wanted to build a trade centre where buyers could purchase goods in one place. Accommodation was planned, also exhibition galleries, conference rooms, reference libraries, a club and a restaurant. American architect Harvey W Corbett was brought in to design it, and work began.

The building consists of a central block with four wings. At the end of 1921 while the Centre Block was being built, the market slumped and caused the original purpose of the building to be reconsidered. The centre block could not be altered, but the plans for the wings were adapted for use as offices.

Centre Block

Centre Block opened in 1923, and boasts marble walls and floors. Portland stone was used to build it, the floors were made of Indian Hardwood, and the foyers all have Travertine marble on the floor. The foyers are heated by radiators set inside the stone walls, with grilles letting the warm air through into the rooms.

The main entrance is very grand, with two statues and four big columns reaching half the height of the nine-storey building. Inscribed above the doors is the legend To the friendship of English Speaking Peoples. This is rather ironic considering that the World Service broadcasts not only in English, but in 42 other languages as well. The statues symbolise Great Britain and America; they each hold a flaming torch and a shield which have the British lion and the American eagle on them. In between the statues is an altar embossed with a Celtic cross. They are made of Indiana stone, and are expected to have a lifespan of two centuries.

North West Wing

The North-West wing opened in 1928, followed by the North-East wing in 1929. It was in that year that Bush House was declared 'the most expensive building in the world', at a cost of $10,000,000. The South-East wing was opened in 1930, with the South-West wing lagging behind until 1935.

While The Strand was being excavated in 1930 to build the eastern wing, a marble head was discovered. Carved from Carrara marble, it depicted a Roman man with a rather grim expression. Despite some slight damage, the head now sits in Centre Block stairwell.

There was once a small 'acoustically perfect' theatre in Bush House. It could hold 100 people.

WW II

In June 1944 a bomb landed in Aldwych outside Bush House. Three staff were severely injured, another 40 sustained minor injuries, and one of the statues had its arm destroyed. The arm was replaced 30 years later by an American businessman who saw it while he was visiting his daughter in London. He happened to work for the Indiana Limestone Company, and persuaded his employers to send a replacement, and a stonemason to attach it.

There is a small reminder of the original plans for Bush House; a small arcade that has eight shops in it is on the ground floor. The entrance is on The Strand, and is open to the general public.

Sources:
- BBC bbc.co.uk
- Derwent London

Get exclusive Bush House updates on your email

#launchingsoon - subscribe to our weekly newsletter
Be the first to hear about the upcoming launch events and emerging projects – Buildington’s free ‘Launch Events Weekly’ newsletter is sent out once a week

Site & Location

Team

Company
Type
Year
Developer
2021
Architect
2021
DP9
Planning Consultant
2021
Structural Engineer
2021
Services Engineer
2021
Daylight and Sunlight Consultant
2021
TFT
Sustainability Consultant
2021
Landscape Architect
2021
Façade Engineering
2021
Project Manager
2021

Timeline

News, events, milestones and offers from the new development
+ Post a new milestone

News from the companies

Nearby new developments

Franklin House
 
Planning application submitted
A new planning application has been submitted for the redevelopment of the 151 Strand site comprising part demolition and part retention of the existing building...
22/12/2022
Aldwych Theatre
 
Planning application submitted
Planning application submitted for the refurbishment of the 4th floor at Aldwych Theatre.
13/05/2024
The Other House Covent Garden
Capco has exchanged contracts to sell the Wellington block to The Portfolio Club for £76.5 million before costs which is in line with the property valuation as at 30...
09/09/2020
Completion
2025
Brettenham House
 
New appointment
Helical is set to sign contracts with the long-leasehold owner of Brettenham House WC2 for a major renovation of the 120,000 sq ft office building.
23/05/2024
Completion
2026
Space House
 
New images
BAM is nearing completion at Space House in Covent Garden, London WC2.
28/02/2024
Completion
2024

Nearby buildings

Marconi House
Galliard will open the doors of Marconi House to the public for the first time on Saturday the 1st and Sunday the 2nd of December 2012 from 11am-4pm. For invitation and...
29/11/2012
Completion
2012
Duchess Theatre
Planning permission sought for: Display for a temporary period of six months of a non-illuminated 'to let'/ 'for sale' board. Source: Westminster City Council...
24/07/2012
Completion
1929
Strand Bridge House
New planning application submitted for the use of lower ground floor at strand Bridge House as flexible/alternative office (Class B1) or banking hall (Class...
11/01/2017
Completion
2017

Disclaimer

Information on this page is for guidance only and remains subject to change. Buildington does not sell or let this property. For more information about this property please register your interest on the original website or get in touch with the Connected Companies.