Description of Eagle House
Eagle HouseGrade II* listed building in the Wimbledon Village, London SW19, completed in 2017.
The stucco-fronted Jacobean building is redeveloped into 8 apartments by Octagon Developments in partnership with Criterion Capital.
The apartments will provide a mixture of 2 and 3 bedrooms, with lift access to the upper floors, private parking and some with private patios – all with access to landscaped communal gardens and set behind secure gates.
Interior design by Michaelis Boyd Associates of London.
- Wimbledon Underground and Railway Station 0.7 miles
- Wimbledon Common 400 meters
Eagle House was built in 1617 for Robert Bell, one of the founders of the East India Company and Master of the Worshipful Company of Girdlers. The house was purchased in 1790 by Thomas Lancaster as Wimbledon School for Young Nobleman and Gentlemen. It was then re-named Nelson House School following a visit Lord Nelson in September 1805. It remained in this use until 1887 when purchased by Thomas Graham Jackson who restored the residential use and historic character.
English Heritage's blue plaque on Eagle House
commemorates the life of Arthur Schopenhauer, the German
philosopher who resided in Eagle House as a pupil in 1803.
1. Eagle House brochure by Knight Frank knightfrank.com