Description of St Mary's Hospital Clarence Memorial Wing
St Mary's Hospital Clarence Memorial Wing is a Grade II listed building in Paddington, London W2.
Built in 1892 by Sir William Emerson in an Eclectic Renaissance style, the building was opened in 1904. The building has Ashlar lower storeys with red brick above with ashlar dressings and ashlar loggias and slate roof. Grand central block of 5 bays with arcaded balconies. 6-bay wings ﬂ anked by a further 4 bays which project and are surmounted by a gable. To right a further projecting, full-height canted bay creates the impression of an angle turret. Quoins. Steps to central segmental-pedimented entrance. Shallow 3-window bows to 6-bay wings. Mainly sash windows with glazing bars to upper sashes. Balustraded balcony to 1st ﬂ oor and 2-tier loggia to 1st and 2nd ﬂ oors. Modillion cornice. Later dormers to double mansard roof. Octagonal turrets ﬂ ank centre. Pedimented gables to centre and outer bays.
Plaque commemorating the discovery of penicillin in this wing by Alexander Fleming (1881-1955).