Abbey Quay is a £350 million residential-led mixed-use development in Barking, East London IG11.
The development will provide 1,089 new homes of mixed tenure alongside retail, commercial and leisure facilities on the 6 acre Abbey Retail Park site.
New Build Homes
The development will deliver 1,089 new homes comprising 737 private sale 1, 2 and 3-bedroom apartments and penthouses and 352 (35% of all habitable rooms) provided as affordable housing including affordable rent, shared ownership and discount market-sale tenures.
The apartments will be situated across 13 residential blocks split across three buildings, ranging from seven to 29 storeys. The residential buildings are arranged around a pair of large communal landscaped podium gardens for occupants to utilise.
Masterplanned and designed by architectural practice Broadway Malyan, ‘Abbey Quays’ consists of striking contemporary buildings including a reception-hub and pavilion building, designed around the riverfront and new public and communal spaces.
- 22,281 sq ft of commercial/leisure space, including a new riverside pub/restaurant
- 6,857 sqft Max Whitlock MBE athletes training centre/gym
- 11,528 sqft of employment space
- 5,059 sqft of community space, including a community hall for local community events and children’s parties
- community-hub/reception for accepting/meeting deliveries/visitors for residents. The scheme is located within a new high-quality public realm that includes public artwork, landscaping, a new riverside walkway and a waterside plaza with a spectacular rill water feature.
Public artwork commissioned by local artist Susanna Wallis.
In Tudor times the site was a quay servicing the adjacent Barking Abbey and village. By the 19th century, it was a vibrant fishing village, becoming an industrial zone during the Victorian era and thereafter. The retail park was built by the Estates & Agency Group during the 1980s providing retail warehouse units and parking.
Site & Location
Covering over 1,190,100 sq ft, Abbey Quays’ will front directly onto the River Roding, a tributary of the River Thames, and is bordered by London Road and Abbey Road, where it overlooks the Abbey Green public open space. It is situated a short walk from Barking’s mainline and London Underground station.
New on Buildington!
Information on this page is for guidance only and remains subject to change. Buildington does not sell or let this property. For more information about this property please register your interest on the original website or get in touch with the Connected Companies.