Description of St Peter's Notting Hill
St Peter's Church was designed by the architect, Thomas Allom, as an integral part of his design for Kensington Park Gardens, Stanley Crescent and Stanley Gardens. His Ladbroke Estate housing, designed in 1852‐3, and St Peter's Church are Allom's principal architectural work.
The foundation stone of St Peter's was laid in November 1855, and it was consecrated on 7 January 1857 by the Bishop of London, Archibald Campbell Tait, who in 1869 was to become Archbishop of Canterbury. At the time of its consecration, the church could accommodate 1,400 worshippers. It is probably the last 19th century Church of England church to be built in London in the classical style. The church is a building of exceptional architectural quality, and is deservedly listed Grade II*. The magnificent western facade, with its bold pediment and entablature carried on six engaged Corinthian columns is best appreciated from Stanley Gardens. Within, the elegant gallery fronts each contain three panels ornamented with the Keys of St Peter, floral swags and winged putti.